Sunday, July 4, 2010

12,000 Quotes, Yet One Too Few...

Since I do a fair amount of speaking on fatherhood in churches these days, I was delighted to come across a book called, “12,000 Religious Quotations.” To make things even better, it was on sale for $14.95, nearly ½ off the list price.

I was especially pleased when I read the back cover, which boasted:

  • An indispensable reference work that puts expressive statements on religion at your finger tips.
  • Nearly 12,000 quotes on 200 subjects from 2,500 different sources.
  • These quotations—some inspiring, a few controversial, many humorous, others penetrating—reflect a diversity of opinions, Christian and non-Christian.
  • Thought-provoking quotes that will enliven sermons, speeches, or reports.

Good stuff.

Well, I got the book home and quickly flipped to the section that was sure to be bursting with some inspiring quotes about fathers or fatherhood. I found the word “fate” and turn the page and found “fear…” Wait a minute. (I quickly said my ABCs…) Shouldn't father or a least fatherhood be listed? But it’s not. Maybe there is something listed under Dad, Daddy, or…Papa. Nope, nope and nope. Nothing. 12,000 quotes and not a single one on fathers.

So, then I looked up mothers. Yep, about 30 quotes with gems like:

The sweetest sound to mortal given
Are heard in Mother, Home and Heaven.
-William Goldsmith Brown

Now, I love mothers. I have one. I am married to one. And, some of my best friends are mothers. But, it seems that this author has forgotten biology 101. Without fathers, there are no mothers. (You can quote me on that one…)

I did find one quote in the “error” section that captured my sentiments.

Shall error in the round of time
Still father Truth?
-Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Let’s hope so…

Now, where did I put that darn receipt? To err is human, to return is divine.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for the light-hearted (AND simultaneously disheartening) story about 10,000 quotes - and not a single one about dads. After reading your article, I looked at my personal directory of quotes and found this one, "My grandfather always said that living is like licking honey off a thorn." (Louis Adamic). One of our parent educators is fond of saying, "Daddies hold up half the sky." - but I think that is morphed from another quote. At our small Milwaukee nonprofit (The Parenting Network), we value our dads. Since 1999 when male participation in programs and classes was 7%, their involvement in 2009 grew to 40%. All it takes is resolve and a good plan!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good work by this magazine

    Bob Ananda

    ReplyDelete
  3. is a shame that no fathers are mentioned in the book
    Thank you for the heads up

    ReplyDelete
  4. To become a father is to assume the responsibility to be a father.

    ReplyDelete

We welcome many points of view and great discussion. However, please be aware that comments go through an approval process. The blog administrators reserve the right to not post or delete any comments that are not appropriate (ie: comments with obscene, explicit, sexist, racist or otherwise derogatory language), impolite (ie: comments containing personal attacks, insults or threats), dishonest (ie: potentially libelous comments), or are spam. Thanks for understanding!